MOS 19D, Cavalry Scout
The cavalry scout leads, serves, or assists as a member of scout crew, squad, section, or platoon in reconnaissance, security, cordon/search, and other combat operations.
Cavalry Scouts function as a vehicle operator and/or crewmember aboard an M3A2 or M3A3 Cavalry Fighting Vehicle (CFV), HMMWV (highly mobile multi-wheeled vehicle), or Stryker. Responsible for maintaining the 25MM, .50 caliber, M240B, M249 machine guns, MK-19 grenade launcher, M16A4/M4 rifle, Beretta 9mm, AT-4, and shotguns. Also, anti-armor weapons such as the Javelin and TOW, and (SINCGARS) digital radio communications equipment. Trained on mounted maneuver, and dismounted land navigation patrols using the FBCB2 (future battle command brigade and below) and PSN-11 (Plugger). Serves as a member of an LP/OP (listening/observation post) while employing principles of cover and concealment. Gather information on the size, activity, location, unit, time, and equipment of the enemy (SALUTE Report). Collects and reports data for route classifications, fords tunnels, and bridges. Uses all the prior data to request, adjust, and execute indirect fires.
Additional skill identifiers
(1) B9--Bradley M2A3/M3A3 Operator/System Maintainer.
(2) C6--Cavalry Leader (Skill Level 4 only).
(3) D3--Bradley Fighting Vehicle System (BFVS).
(5) J3--Bradley Fighting Vehicle Master Gunner.
(6) R4--Interim Brigade Combat Team Operations.
(7) R7--Army Reconnaissance (Skill level 3 and above only).
(8) R8--STRYKER Master Gunner (Effective 201810).
(9) 2C--Javelin Gunnery.
(10) 5C--Mission Command Digital Master Gunner (MCDMG) (Skill level 2 thru 6) (Effective 201710).
The following criteria are required for all applicants:
* A physical demands rating of heavy
* A physical profile of 111121
* Correctable vision of 20/20 in one eye and 20/100 in other eye
* Normal color vision
* Qualifying scores. A minimum score of 87 in aptitude area CO on ASVAB tests administered on and after 2 January 2002.
* Formal training (completion of MOS 19D course conducted under the auspices of the U.S. Army Armor School) mandatory
Active Component. The highest grade an individual may be reclassified into MOS 19D is grade SGT. Soldiers reclassifying into MOS 19D must complete a mandatory MOS 19D course conducted under the auspices of the U.S. Army Armor School.