The FY20 Army Astronaut Candidate Screening Board will convene in April 2020 to select Soldiers for nomination to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
Soldiers successfully screened by the board will compete with other military and civilian applicants for selection to the NASA Astronaut Candidate Program, a rigorous 2-year program to train astronauts for spaceflight.
Active Duty Soldiers wishing to compete for selection as a NASA Astronaut Candidate must apply per MILPER Message 20-062. National Guard and Reserve Soldiers may apply for this program following the NASA Civilian Vacancy Announcement on https://www.usajobs.gov. The application process consists of two parts:
- An application directly to NASA per their announcement linked below and
- An application to the Army Astronaut Candidate Screening Board as outlined in MILPER Message 20-062.
The suspense for both applications is 31 March 2020. Soldiers desiring to compete must closely follow the instructions outlined below.
- Soldiers of any rank or job code that meet the NASA criteria are eligible to apply.
- Applicant must be a United States citizen.
- For all eligibility requirements and information on selection, go to http://www.nasa.gov/astronauts.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply – the Army Astronaut Detachment understands that military service can introduce unforeseen circumstances that may affect an applicant’s ability to complete the application.