ARMY RETENTION BONUS MESSAGE FACT SHEET
- Locate your MOS OR MOS w/SQI, ASI, Language and/or location
- Locate your Rank SL1 = CPL/SPC & below
- MOS & Rank will intersect with “Tier”
- Payment: Bonuses are PAID by how many months are added to a Soldier’s service. This is called Additional Service Obligation (AOS). We CANNOT pay you for what is still owed on your current contract.
- NOTE: Unless serving in a tax-free zone, bonuses are taxed federally at 22% per Military Pay E-Message 18-022 eff. 1 January 2018.
- Payment processing time: A bonus will be PAID to the Soldier NLT 30 – 45 days from confirmation date.
- Scenario: 11C, SSG, with an ETS date 20200709 is reenlisting for 5 years on 20190824
Bonuses can be tricky to understand, below is a tool to help navigate the Army’s Retention Bonus. This is a basic understanding of a bonus message, understand that there may be other factors that come into play when navigating a retention bonus, e.g. future training opportunities, promotable status, retention control point, etc. ALWAYS see your servicing Career Counselor for accuracy.