‘Try a Year’ in the ARNG or USAR

Thought about transitioning into the Army National Guard (ARNG) or U.S. Army Reserve (USAR) from the Regular Army and just want to try it out? Well you can! In both Components, if you qualify “Try a Year” or Try One may be the best option for you and your family.

The following conditions must be met to enlist/transfer a Soldier under this special enlistment program:

  • Be in the grade of E6 and below (ARNG E6 requires a Letter of Acceptance)
  • Not required to be MOSQ (you can try a new MOS if you qualify for it IAW DA Pam 611-21!)
  • Not eligible for Enlisted Affiliation Bonus

For individual qualifications and availability, see your local servicing Reserve Component Career Counselor (RCCC).