‘Try One’ Program (ARNG and USAR)

Thought about transitioning into the Army National Guard (ARNG) or U.S. Army Reserve (USAR) from Active Duty and just want to try it out? Well you can! In both Components, if you qualify “Try a Year” or Try One may be the best option for you and your family.

The following conditions must be met to enlist a Soldier under this special enlistment program:

  • Be in the grade of E5 and below
  • Have a remaining Military Service Obligation (MSO) of 12 months or greater
  • Meet all other eligibility requirements outlined in AR 601-280
  • Soldiers who have an MSO of less than 12 months are not authorized to transfer under this program, but rather will be authorized a one year enlistment IAW AR 601-280, Chapter 7, paragraph 7-7a(1)(a)

For individual qualifications and availability, see your local servicing Reserve Component Career Counselor (RCCC).